Our little island nation turns 50 today, and my, what a celebration it has been.
Jamaicans Usain Bolt and Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce won gold medals this weekend, cementing their status as the fastest man and woman in the world.
That this all happened on British soil is especially fitting; it is the British after all from whom we gained our independence.
We've made some major strides in those 50 years, and there are many more to be made. We're pretty proud today of this island that nurtured us in our childhood. Happy birthday Jamaica.
- Jamaica is the first English-speaking Caribbean country to gain independence.
- Arthur Wint won Jamaica's first Olympic Gold medal in 1948.
- Besides the United States, Jamaica has the won the most Olympic and World medals in track and field.
- Jamaica is 3rd place on the list of countries to have ever won the most Miss World titles.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the Winter Olympics.
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
- International reggae star Bob Marley, was born and buried in Nine Miles, Jamaica.
- Ian Fleming, who lived in Jamaica, used the island as a setting for many of his James Bond novels.
- Besides track and field, Jamaicans have a deep love affair with soccer and cricket.